Goodbye Bellingham, Hello Paris. Texas. Or Clarksville, near Paris, Texas. (Paris just sounds good.)

I'm on my way to Clarksville Texas where I'll be painting for a week with Deborah Paris! It's a workshop with 4 other artists and I'm super excited.

For months now I've been telling friends I'm going to Texas and nearly everyone says this: "Texas?!? Why are you going to Texas?" :) Well, I'm going to study indirect painting with an artist who practices and teaches indirect painting. I love her work, you can see it here.

Plus I think I'll find the countryside there to be exactly my cup of tea. A little stark, but with subtle detail. I checked the weather yesterday and there are tornado warnings for today. My husband says to 'find my safe place.' Will do Dan.

I've been thinking about how to pack my art supplies and gathering my things for a few weeks now. The photo above is of my panel carrier. I'm taking 10 paintings in progress to finish there. I'm also taking a few blank linen panels, some lovely drawing paper, drawing supplies and brushes. Tuesday I packed up my favorite paints and mailed them to Deborah. She has an easel I can use and one of the other artists is bringing the Gamsol and another, the Liquin.

So I'm excited. I'm excited to see the Texas hill country and thrilled to work with such an exceptional artist.

Comments

Raven said…
You're leaving out the best part of your trip: visiting your lovely daughter in Fort Collins, CO.
A question: what is "indirect" painting?
Have a great trip, Lisa. Paris' work is quite stunning.
Anne-Marie said…
Safe travels - and I hope you learn a great deal and come back with incredible artwork to share with your favorite Bellinghamsters.

PS - Hi Raven!
Lisa McShane said…
Raven: Yes! Fort Collins! I think I saw it from the airplane yesterday.

Kathleen: my next weekly email will go into some detail about indirect painting. Direct painting is what nearly all artists do today: you mix the paint on the palette, the color you want, apply it and that's what you se e(nearly all modern painters & the impressionists.) Indirect is layers and layers and layers of transparent or translucent glazes over a detailed underpainting (Vermeer/Titian/Whistler) to achieve depth and mystery. It uses optical qualities of refraction - you look through the layers to the surface.

Anne-Marie - thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite love poem - West Wind 2 by Mary Oliver

#artinthetimeofcorona

My favorite art inventory system