High in the Clean Blue Air

High in the Clean Blue Air. 12" x 16". Oil on Linen Panel. 


Wild Geese
     by Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good. 
You do not have to walk on your knees 
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. 
You only have to let the soft animal of your body 
love what it loves. 
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine. 
Meanwhile the world goes on. 
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain 
are moving across the landscapes, 
over the prairies and the deep trees, 
the mountains and the rivers. 
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, 
are heading home again. 
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, 
the world offers itself to your imagination, 
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place 
in the family of things.

Comments

Deborah Paris said…
Steve and I both love this one and, of course, Oliver's poem. So perfect.

But, we both had the same reaction- BIGGER please....:)
Lisa McShane said…
Thanks Deborah!

Will do! I saw this and immediately ordered my supplies for larger panels. 359, miracle muck and gatorboards are now heading my way...:) For some reason, my lake paintings can only work on 359.
Unknown said…
Lisa,
How I look forward to your art! Each painting surpasses the last...but not really. I fall in love with each one to a greater or lesser degree. If I had to choose my favorite, I'd be hardpressed to do it. I'll be seeing your show at Edison, but not the opening. We'll be in Seattle for the opera, Tristan and Isolde. Can't miss that.
Casey Klahn said…
Very tranquil. Effective.
loriann signori said…
Wow I love this painting Lisa! Did you read that beautiful poem for inspiration? Mary Oliver is a fave of mine as well.
Lisa McShane said…
Thank you Chris - I look forward to hearing what you think after you see them in the gallery! It was so nice to run into you the other week (on my birthday)

Casey - thank you! Not all of my lake paintings are restful but this really is.

Loriann - yes. I've been reading Mary Oliver nearly every day. Wild Geese pinned by my easel.

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite love poem - West Wind 2 by Mary Oliver

#artinthetimeofcorona

My favorite art inventory system