French Landscapes at the Getty Center

Landscape with a Bare Tree and a Plowman. Leon Bonvin. 1864. Brown ink, watercolor and gum arabic on paper.

The Getty Center has a special exhibit right now of French Landscapes. Among them was this remarkable gem. It's the painting they use on the exhibition posters and book cover.

Their description is wonderful and at the end it says that Leon Bonvin committed suicide at age 31 after an art dealer deemed his works "too dark, not gay enough."

I apologize for the off-kilter photo. I didn't want to disturb the person parked in front of the painting but I'm not sure why, my husband would have stepped aside for a moment for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite love poem - West Wind 2 by Mary Oliver

#artinthetimeofcorona

My favorite art inventory system