New studio on Samish Island!

New studio on Samish Island in Skagit County 

For the last year or so I've been casually looking around for a new studio space. My goal was a building where I could create much larger paintings with room to store my work and room to stretch and frame canvas and to cut wood. In addition to that I had a wish list: trees, a small cabin and (although I couldn't afford it) a water view. I shared that list with a friend, Heather Othmer, a realtor in Bellingham. Late July Heather emailed me a photo of property with trees and a cabin and after some delay, we all drove to Samish Island on a Saturday to take a look.

When I saw the shop (the middle of the 3 buildings - the cabin is behind the trees - I could picture it as a studio. The next day my husband and I drove back to look again and on Monday we made an offer.

It's just under 14 acres - nearly all trees and 12 of those acres are in a wildlife conservation easement with the Skagit Land Trust for bird habitat. There's a view of Samish Bay and Padilla Bay and the North Cascades. The flat land in the distance? All habitat for ducks and geese, owned by the state (ie the people of Washington). The shop is old, built of big timbers, but it's large. And I've got a pole barn for cutting wood and storing kayaks. I never dreamed this would be my studio.

It's 35 minutes from my house, just past the town of Edison. I feel very lucky.

Comments

RG said…
FYI - maybe you know - this property is adjacent to a very large Heron Rookery managed and protected by the Skagit Land Trust. They sponsor work parties, tours, and science in there and you might find that quite interesting to be part of!
Lisa McShane said…
Thanks Rabbits' Guy - we are really glad to share ownership of that forest with Skagit Land Trust and have already sponsored an ivy pull. We're looking forward to a long partnership with SLT!
Elizabeth said…
Congratulations!

Elizabeth
WOW, what a magnificent place to paint. I'm a bit jealous! I'm in an urban environment (Memphis, TN), and dream of having a place in the country or mountains. I want a log cabin or rustic type building, with a fireplace, a few cozy chairs for guests, views of nature, and a stream nearby.

Matthew

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite love poem - West Wind 2 by Mary Oliver

#artinthetimeofcorona

My favorite art inventory system